green ribbon background

Thursday, October 7, 2010

A um... updated bed

So the original bed wasn't supposed to be ours. The Haverty's lady wanted to get her commission in before the end of the month and realized our mattress wouldn't come in til after the 30th of Sept, so she snuck around the system and sent us another mattress, basically saying we could "exchange" it the next week without a problem. Granted, we got the new one yesterday and there wasn't really a problem getting it exchanged (other than they were very late getting to our place, and I really wanted to get to the DMV to change my license - more on that later), but I was kind of annoyed that she could do that. I liked her in the store, though -- she was nice, and funny, and cut us a deal on delivery charges -- so I figured I'd let it slide as long as the mattress we originally picked out arrived within a week. And yesterday it did! And a bonus: we got to exchange our platform box springs to shorter ones (man, was that first bed high)! Now, as you can see, we don't really have a king size comforter or bed set yet, and we're just making the bed as best we can, but I love this one! It has a pillow top mattress, it's a decent amount lower so we don't have to jump to get on it, and it doesn't make the other furniture look like dresser midgets. BTW -- this is the comforter from my high school waterbed! I really should throw it out soon or put it in the "give guests when they need to make up a bed" pile, but for now I'm kind of happy we have it while in transition to a king bed set. Memories, memories...

On to the license story I promised... I finally got my name changed! I went to the SS office last week, had the feds officially sign off on my Fulcherifficness, and now the DMV gave me an ID confirming I am indeed no longer a Smith. Pretty cool... every girl doodles on her notebook the last name she thinks she'll one day have (even if for the moment the cute boy in front of you in the 7th grade flirts with you -- thanks, Kurt!) but now mine's for real. Woot! Oh, and to top off all the greatness, yesterday was the single most pleasant experience I've ever had with a government worker or even a government facility. I got there, got my ticket to get in line, and before I could sit down to fill out their required form, they called my number! I thought the guy would be annoyed that I hadn't done my form (regardless of whether I just got there -- I mean, we are talking about grouchy government workers), but to my surprise he was very patient. He was even friendly and helpful. I was in and out of there in 10 minutes! Whoa. Now comes the lovely fun of changing my bank account (merging our bank accounts), along with tons of other accounts that still have me listed as a Smith. Should be some interesting stories there.

1 comment: